New Salem articles

Hebron articles

  Scholarship Lists


New Salem - January 28, 2009

Counselor’s Corner

By Dr. Gaylynn Becker
National Certified Career Counselor
National Certified School Counselor
New Salem High School
Counselor’s Corner

Have Financial Aid Questions?

Didn’t come to the Financial Aid Meeting in November?
Need help in applying for financial aid?
What is the maximum amount of financial aid?
Do I need collateral when applying for financial aid?
This article will answer these questions.

The first two questions can be answered by attending “College Goal Sunday” on February 22, 2009 at United Tribes Technical College. The North Dakota Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators is sponsoring this session. Their goal is to assist in completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on this day. If you would like to take advantage of this session, you must bring a completed 2008 Income Tax Return as well as your financial information for both the parents and the student. I plan to be one of the volunteers assisting that day. For more information about “College Goal Sunday” call Laura Teigen at College Information Service at 328-5660 or at 1-800-554-2717. Good Luck!

What Is The Maximum Amount Of Each Type Of Financial Aid?
The maximum amount of each of these sources of federal aid is:
Pell Grant ....................$ 4,731.
SEOG Grant (about) .... $ 4,000.
State Grant .....................$ 800.
College Work Study .....Varies
Federal Subsidized Loan Limit
Freshman ..$ 3,500.
Third Year .....5,500.
Fourth Year ...5,500.
Total Undergraduate Loan Limit $ 23,000.
Total Graduate Loan Limit ........$ 65,500.

Academic Competitiveness Grant
This is a grant that has been around for only a couple of years. It is based upon having completed a rigorous high school curriculum that includes at least 3 mathematics courses from Algebra I and above and at least 3 years of science courses. Here are some additional requirements:

· Must be Pell Grant eligible
· Freshman $ 750.
· Sophomore $ 1,300.
· Minimum 3.00 GPA.

National Science & Mathematics to Retain Talent Grant (SMART Grant)
Some requirements of the SMART Grant are:
· Must be enrolled in a science or mathematics related major
· Eligible to receive up to $ 4,000. /year.

All of the types of federal financial aid listed above are need based. That means that the determination of whether or not a student receives a grant, loan or college work-study is based upon the student’s income and assets. If the student is dependent, it then also depends upon the income and assets of the parents. The lower the income and assets of the student and the parents, the higher the need for the student and as a result the greater the financial aid package the student will receive. The above forms of financial aid are determined by information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Do I need collateral when receiving a federal student loan?
No, student Loans of North Dakota (SLND) is the guarantor in case of default, bankruptcy, death, or disability. As a result, the guarantee replaces the collateral requirement. The Bank of North Dakota Student Loan Division can be contacted at 1 (800) 472-2166. If you are calling locally, the number is 328-5660.

National Guard Band!
On January 6, 2009 New Salem Public Schools was able to hear the 188th Army Band “Third Time Rule!” They were awesome! The band members are members of the National Guard and this is their assignment.

Here are some New Salem students getting into the act.
(to see the pictures see this issue of The New Salem Journal)

SFC Jeffrey Pfingsten told me that the 188 Army Band will be putting on shows for 22 schools within 2 weeks.

For more career information go to or call me at either New Salem High School at 843-7610, or at my residence at 222-3222.

Have an excellent academic day!