New Salem articles

Hebron articles

  Scholarship Lists


Hebron - January 19, 2005

Counselorís Corner
Dr. Gaylynn Becker
National Certified Career Counselor
Hebron & New Salem High Schools

Financial Aid - Part 1

Thanks to Steven Maershbecker for being in charge of the Hebron site at this yearís Financial Aid Night again. I sure appreciate it. Also thanks to Sandy Klein of Dickinson State University who did another excellent job of addressing many issues in the federal student aid process. I heard that the cool pens, door-prizes and chance at a scholarship were all part of the attraction as well. Iím sure that those who attended have a great start on the financial aid process.

Types Of Federal Financial Aid
There are many types of financial aid for students of all ages who wish to pursue higher education. The United States Government is the primary source of financial aid for most students in the United States. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) assists those who wish to obtain the following types of federal financial aid for attending college: grants, scholarships, work-study, and federal loans. Some of the specific grants and other aid that students may receive as a result of completing the FAFSA are: Pell Grants, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG), North Dakota State Grant, College Work-Study, Federal Subsidized Loans, and Federal Unsubsidized Loans.

What Is The Maximum Amount Of Each Type Of Financial Aid?
The maximum amount of each of these sources of federal aid is:
Pell Grant $ 4,050.
SEOG Grant 4,000.
College Work Study Varies
Federal Subsidized Loan Limit Federal Unsubsidized Loan Limit
Freshman $ 2,625. $ 4,000.
Sophomore 3,500. 4,000.
Third Year 5,500. 5,000.
Fourth Year 5,500. 5,000.
Total Undergraduate Loan Limit $ 23,000.
Total Graduate Loan Limit 65,500.

All of the types of federal financial aid listed above are need based. That means that the determination of whether or not a student receives a grant, loan or college work-study is based upon the students income and assets. If the student is dependent, it then also depends upon the income and assets of the parents. The lower the income and assets of the student and the parents, the higher the need for the student and as a result the greater the financial aid package the student will receive.

For more information on career information and links, please see my Career Planning website at If you have any questions on career, counseling, or assessment topics, you can e-mail me at You can also contact me at Hebron High School at 878-4442, at New Salem High School at 843-7610, or at my residence at 222-3222.

Have an excellent academic day!